A development programme for Black Choreographers
ACE dance and music is recognised as a national and international leader in the field of contemporary, diasporic dance. Everything we do is dance and the nurturing of the next generation of talent is at the heart of everything we do.
This is an exciting opportunity for two future choreographers to join a pilot programme focused on addressing the lack of diversity in UK choreography, specifically by delivering and evaluating a structured development programme for two early career Black choreographers.
The programme is aimed at you if you are an emerging choreographer. You may have created work, but it does not have to have been presented on a professional stage or you may be transitioning from dancer to choreographer. You will have the potential to make a sustained contribution to the development of contemporary dance with roots in dance from the diaspora. To gain most from the programme, you will need to be excited about choreography and actively making work.
The twelve months structured development programme will consist of:
* A bursary for each artist
* A professional mentor drawn from a pool of national and international artists
* An Induction weekend and time for reflection on your aspirations and artistic identity from 2-3 March 2019
* Four residencies including:
1. Masterclasses with national and international guest choreographers
2. Choreography on youth dancers and on professional dancer(s) from the region to create two pieces each of less than 10 minutes with the potential for touring
3. Dedicated time with design and production specialists working with ACE e.g. lighting designers or a dramaturge and one to one session for problem solving with the ACE Artistic Director
4. Potential for showcasing your work professionally
5. Time at ACE observing/shadowing all the functions of a touring company and the making of new work from R&D to performing
6. Regular connections with regionally based artists
If you would like to be part of this, please send a show reel of recent work, your CV and a covering letter telling us what you hope to get out of being a Navigate Choreographer and why this is important for your practice now.
The closing date is Friday 19 October at 5pm. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews and selection will take place on Tuesday 23 October 2018 at ACE dance and music, ACE Space, Floodgate Street, Digbeth, B5 5SL.