ACE dance and music is a national touring company and registered charity based in the UK.
We are an internationally recognised leader in the field of Contemporary African and Caribbean Dance. Our signature style is Afro-fusion – dance which is rooted in traditional forms yet expressed through a purely contemporary lens. By combining African & Caribbean movement aesthetics with contemporary techniques we create high quality innovative performance – always combining dance with original music and often using new digital media and techniques from other disciplines including theatre. We offer a full range of bespoke education and outreach programmes; deliver in-house studio based dance classes, and play host to ACE Youth – our youth dance company, with its own independent reputation for excellence. Education and outreach is not an add-on, it’s integral to our work.
ACE attract young audiences as well as dance enthusiasts. Audiences nationally and internationally have been blown away by our work. The physicality, technicality, engagement and artistic quality leave our audiences wanting more… ACE dance and music are funded by Arts Council England.
Post: Dance Artist Intern
Working hours per week: 30 hours @ over 5 days @ Monday – Saturday
Timeframe: The appointment will be initially on a six month fixed term contract March – August 2016
Salary: National minimum wage @ £6.70p per hour
Special note: at the time of applying, applicants must be aged 21 to 24 years old and must be registered as unemployed with Jobcentre Plus.
We are looking for a young person aged 21-24 yrs who is:
- A good communicator.
- A passion for working with young people and communities.
- Self motivated.
- Initiative; confident, able to take the lead, work on own and as part of a team, when required.
- Must have an understanding of a wide variety of dance disciplines and dance within education.
- Must be willing to work Saturday’s and occasional evenings, when required.
Applicants must have a degree in dance and be trained in a technical dance discipline.
This role is ideally suited to recent dance graduate who is eager to break into the dance industry.
Dance Artists Job Description
ACE dance and music are looking for a dynamic, confident individual to join their small education team.
Purpose of the role
This role will support the development of company’s education work, alongside outreach work and small projects.
- One of the main responsibilities of this role is to be trained to support and eventually lead ACE’s in-house education programme.
- You will also be trained to deliver outreach work in school, community and youth settings.
- Deliver high quality dance workshops in a range of dance styles, choreography curtain raisers, deliver short residencies (appropriate training provided) etc. with a range of groups.
- Make new connections with young people and communities.
- Support the coordination and administration of dance workshops and projects, regionally and nationally.
- Respond to small project inquiries; liaise with clients, preparing a project outline and detailed teaching plans to suit their precise needs, managing the work from start to finish.
- Developing contact community databases, as appropriate.
- Attending any meetings or sub-meetings as requested.
- General admin, office, filing etc. as required.
Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years and be prepared to commit full time to this opportunity as well as demonstrate they have an appropriate level of dance skills. Shortlisted will be asked to lead a short one hour workshop as part of the interview process (see below).
The successful intern will receive one to one training from ACE dance and music’s Education Officer. Admin and coordination responsibilities will also be supported by the Administrator.
You will participate in regular weekly classes to support your on-going dance training and have the opportunity to participate in-house residency’s with international choreographers to support your on-going development
Beyond the internship, ACE dance and music aims to continue to work with the success candidate.
To find out more or make an enquiry about the post
Tel: 0121 314 5830 or email email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Deadline Tuesday 1st March 2016
Interview date: Thursday 3rd March 2016 (time to be confirmed) followed by a practical workshop interview on Saturday 5th March, shortlisted candidates will be asked to lead a short 15-20 minute creative dance warm up with young people. ACE anticipate an immediate start for the successful candidate in March 2016.
Forward an up to date CV along with a supporting letter explaining why you are interested in working with ACE dance and music and the skills you feel you would bring to the role.
Email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org